Discord is one of the best VoIP application used among gamers for voice chat while playing the game, and over the years, this application made a great name in gamers community.
More than games, the world faces a pandemic situation, and everyone is working from their home. It comes to know that business meetings and online education have also been started on Discord, increasing its daily users.
With the increasing users and you might already know its a free application, you can expect errors and bugs in it, which we usually see and search for their fixes while the developers are also bringing updates to fix them. Today we will shed light on another fix for those whose Discord keeps freezing, and they were unable to use the application.
As its a free application and you don’t have to pay for most of the basic features, you can’t expect the developers to fix problems on your end instead you have to fix them on your own, and we will help you in doing that.
We’ve gathered some data and found that more than thirty percent users face this freezing problem and majority of users can’t get it fixed, so I’m writing this guide and try all these things worked for me. You can get the fix to the problem and why this problem is occurring, and I’m sure you will enjoy this guide while fixing the application. So let’s start with the gears.
Why Discord Keeps Freezes?
There could be a couple of reasons why this application is freezing on your system while the most common problems are listed below, and we will figure out how to fix them later.
- Hardware Acceleration: No doubt hardware acceleration boosts your computer performance but sometimes causes problems with the applications like the Google Chrome and Discord, etc. If you are facing freezing or black screen problems turning it off can easily fix the problem.
- Compatibility Mode: Maybe you are trying to run this operating system that is not supported by that version of the application. If so, you can try changing the compatibility mode and hope so it will get fixed.
- Push-To-Talk: If you are playing a game and in-game your application is getting freeze, there are chances it’s due to key bindings or push-to-talk so try changing their settings to get the fix.
- Key Bindings: There are some cases where the application and the game both use the same keys which causes some internal error in the application and makes it freeze so if there is some conflicting key change them at the moment.
What are the solutions of freezing issue?
All of the problems that are causing this issue are mentioned above while the solutions to them are below, and there is a quick note before starting the solutions.
Note: The solutions to this problem are straightforward to do, but some of them might require your application to be running, so you have to open the task manager, close the frozen app and restart it.
- Disable the hardware acceleration.
- Try with different compatibility modes.
- Turn off push-to-talk for a while.
- Change the conflicting key binds.
Disabling Hardware Acceleration
Hardware Acceleration gives you great performance boost undoubtedly, but this feature might be causing this issue as most users get it fixed by turning it off.
- Open up the Discord application.
- Go to the user settings (It may be on the left don side in front of your name).
- Head towards the appearance in the settings page.
- Scrolling a little down, you take you to the hardware acceleration.
- Toggle off the hardware acceleration button.
- Then a confirmation message will occur, and you have to confirm it.
This may ask an application restart and probably will fix the issue but if it doesn’t reset the settings as they were before and head towards the other method.
Trying With Other Compatibility Modes
Another thing that can fix your problem is changing the compatibility mode or disabling this feature is already turned on onto this application. Doing this is a straightforward thing and not takes more than a minute.
- Right-click on the Discord shortcut on the desktop.
- Click on the properties and choose the compatibility mode.
- If it’s on toggle off the Run this program in compatibility mode.
- Otherwise, change the compatibility modes and play a little bit with settings.
- To save a setting, click on the apply button and then the OK button.
Note: You don’t need to worry about these settings as they all are reversible by a single option as you turn off the compatibility mode.
So if you are using a low-end build, there are changes that Push-To-Talk might be causing your application to freeze or stuck at one point that there is how you can disable this feature.
- Go to the settings located next to your name on the Discord application.
- On the left side, you will found an option called voice and video.
- There under the input mode, you will see Push to talk.
- Change that option to voice activity.
- Restart your application, and there are chances that the problem will be fixed.
Removing the Key Bindings
A few users found that their key binds in the Discord application conflict with the game they are playing because the application to freeze and remove them or change them fixed the problem.
- Open the Discord application.
- Go to the user settings.
- Select the key binds on the left side.
- There you will see several key binds and them by clicking on the red button next to them.
Doing this will fix the problem if it’s happening due to them, but there is a bonus solution for you if not.
Still facing the problem?
So if you are still facing the problem and no solution above fixed, make sure that your system requirements match what Discord is asking for and check out the system requirements of Discord on the website.
So if you previously did some changes in your operating system like installing or removing any program or driver and facing this problem after that, then there are chances that it’s causing this problem. Restoro repair is an application that will help you in fixing this problem as this tool restores the system to the last time when the application is working. You can again install applications one by one to see what is causing that application to freeze.
Firstly you need to download this application and click on the start scan button as it will start scanning your system for corrupt files and PC problems that might be causing issues.
When it completes you can click on the repair all button which will repair them all and then select restores the backup of your computer.