Discord Keeps Freezing
A few years ago, Discord made a name in the gaming community as one of the most widely used VoIP applications for voice chat while playing the game.
More than just games, the world is facing a pandemic situation, and everyone is working from home. It is known that Discord is being used for business meetings and online education, growing its daily users.
With the increase in users, and it being a free application, we ought to expect errors and bugs, which we have to search for their fixes while the developers are also releasing updates to fix them. Today we will expose another fix for those who were unable to use Discord since it kept freezing.
Because it is a free application and most of the basic features aren’t charged for, you can’t expect the developers to fix errors on your end instead you have to fix them on your own, and that’s what we will help you with.
We gathered some data and found that over thirty percent of users face this freezing problem. Since most users are unable to fix it, I've created this guide and tried all these tricks. With the help of this guide, you’ll be able to get a fix to the issue, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it while fixing the application. So, let’s start the process.
Why Discord Keeps Freezes?
You might be experiencing freezes because of several reasons, and those most likely to cause them are listed below, along with instructions on how to fix them.
- Hardware Acceleration: Although hardware acceleration boosts performance, it can sometimes cause problems with applications like Google Chrome and Discord, etc. Turning it off will fix the problem if the screen is freezing or black.
- Compatibility Mode: There's a good chance that you're running this application on an operating system that it won't run. To test this, change compatibility mode and see if it gets fixed.
- Push-To-Talk: Try changing the settings for key bindings or push-to-talk if your application is freezing while you are playing a game.
- Key Bindings: In some cases both the application and the game contain the same key, resulting in some internal error in the application and making it freeze, so if there is an error with the key, change it now.
What are the solutions of freezing issue?
There are a few errors that are causing this issue that are listed above, and the solutions to them are below, and a quick note is provided before starting with the solutions.
However, the solutions might require the frozen application to be closed, so you have to open the task manager and close the app at first place.
- Disable the hardware acceleration.
- Try using a different compatibility mode.
- Switch off push-to-talk for a while.
- Change the conflicting key bindings.
Disabling Hardware Acceleration
Almost all users get this issue resolved after turning off Hardware Acceleration. It is possible that this feature might be to blame for this issue.
- Open Discord on your computer.
- Go to the settings screen and select the appearance.
- Scrolling down a little takes you to the hardware acceleration.
- Toggle off the hardware acceleration button.
- Then a confirmation message will appear, and you'll be asked to confirm it.
The application may be restarted that will probably fix the issue. However, if the issue persists, reset the settings as they were before and proceed to the next method.
Trying With Other Compatibility Modes
This issue can also be resolved by changing the compatibility mode or disabling this feature on your application. Doing this is straightforward and doesn't take more than a minute.
- On your desktop, right-click on the Discord shortcut.
- Choose the compatibility mode from the properties.
- If it is on, toggle off Run this program in compatibility mode.
- If that doesn't work, switch compatibility modes and play around with settings.
- Save the setting by clicking the Apply button and then the OK button.
All of these settings are reversible by a single option in order to turn off the compatibility mode.
The Push-To-Talk feature might cause your application to freeze or get stuck, so if you're running on a low-end build, you'll need to disable it.
- Go to the settings located next to your name on the Discord application.
- On the left side, you will find an option called voice and video.
- There under the input mode, you will see Push to talk.
- Change that option to voice activity.
- Restart your application, and there are chances that the problem will be fixed.
Removing the Key Bindings
A few users found that their key binds in the Discord application conflict with the game they are playing because the application to freeze and remove them or change them fixed the problem.
- Open the Discord application.
- Go to the user settings.
- Select the key binds on the left side.
- There you will see several key binds and them by clicking on the red button next to them.
Doing this will fix the problem if it’s happening due to them, but there is a bonus solution for you if not.
Still facing the problem?
Make sure that your system requirements match what Discord asks and check the system requirements of Discord on the website if you are still facing the problem and there is no solution. You can only ask the support team of the application.
So if you previously did some changes in your operating system like installing or removing any program or driver and facing this problem after that, then there are chances that it’s causing this problem. Restoro repair is an application that will help you in fixing this problem as this tool restores the system to the last time when the application is working. You can again install applications one by one to see what is causing that application to freeze.
Firstly you need to download this application and click on the start scan button as it will start scanning your system for corrupt files and PC problems that might be causing issues.
When it completes you can click on the repair all button which will repair them all and then select restores the backup of your computer.